Monday, October 29, 2007

A Short Break Today

Short And Sweet

I sold some parts off my wrecked truck at the farm and me and the mechanic rode out today to take the parts off.. It was gonna take him a coupla hours so I went to the barn and started a little fire and sat and waited on him and stayed out of his way..

Some small limbs had fallen durin the high winds we had last week and I gathered some of them and put em on the fire and generally had a good time.. The mechanic was makin a lot of noise tho so it wadnt all that peaceful, but I managed to block a lot of it out and enjoy it anyway..

I sure do have a lot of mowin to do when I do actually get to spend some serious time out there.. I kept it mowed pretty often this year and it has caused the bermuda grass to get thick as carpet and crowd out most of the weeds and with the rain we have had it sure has that bermuda a deep green.. Gonna be a shame to mow it all but it aint gonna be that long till a frost turns it brown anyway..

I could see where the hogs have been up around the garden again and there was some good-sized tracks in the bunch.. That one should be big enuff to cure and smoke.. May even be big enuff to get a little bacon or salt meat out of it.. Gonna have to get a little cooler for curin tho..

Looks like I have been tagged to go over and put together tables and shelves and stuff for the Mrs. tomoro so looks like tomoro is not gonna be a farm day.. Probably just go ahead and make a day of it over there and mow and rake too.. A peecan tree in her front yard has a healthy batch of poison ivy growin on it and I'll have to make damn sure I get rid of that shit before The Kid gets into it.. Dont take much of that stuff to put The Kid in the hospital..

If I happen to make short work out of her yard then I'll do a little leaf rakin behind the house here too.. That wind we had last week piled up a bunch of leaves back there.. Be a lot easier to get em out now before they get wet and heavy..

Miss Minnie Pearl has been buggin me to let her come in the house and stay with me but I'm tryin to hold off till the Mrs. gets some more of her stuff moved.. It aint easy tho when Pearl puts her chin on the board in the front of her house and gives me the "sad eyes" treatment !!

I usually wait till its starts gettin pretty cool at nite before I let her in, but she seems to thank its cool enuff already.. I just dont know how long I'm gonna be able to put it off tho if she keeps givin me the eye tricks..

Well, I fixed fried taters w/peppers and onions and turnip greens and skillet of cornbread last nite and there is enuff cornbread left in there tonite to have a big bowl of cornbread and sweet milk and its callin me to right now !!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be so mean and let Minnie Pearl in, WB! How can you resist the eye tricks?!

Your dinner sounded wonderful.

From Thanksgiving to New Year's Day, I will be off my diet! Damn, I cannot wait!

1:53 PM, October 30, 2007  
Blogger Wild Bill said...

Turkey day till New year is a bad to be around where you can hear me if you are on a diet !! Only thang worse is to be where you can smell my kitchen..

That is the period when I turn my wood heater into a wood cook stove and oven..

Roast turkey.. Baked ham.. Breads and rolls.. Pies and cakes.. And aint nothin tastes any better than wood stove cookin..

When it gets real cool and I have to turn the heat up in it a coupla notches and its really hot for most of the day, I'll put a pot of soup or stew on to simmer all day long.. And thats when I like to get a pot of gumbo and fresh french bread stirred up too..

That damn wood stove is why I gain so much weight durin the winter.. I sit around and smell the stuff cookin all the time and have to nibble on somethin till it gets done to keep my ribs apart..

2:11 PM, October 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn it, WB, I have 23 days to go and you have to bring up all the food I love!!! Good thing I'm single and have will power -- oh, screw that, I must be able to fit into my formal gown next week!!

Thanksgiving can't get here soon enough!!!!! Wish I had a wood stove. What a wonderful picture you painted!

3:25 PM, October 30, 2007  
Blogger Greg said...

I'll be haulin one of my smokers up to North Carolina for Thanksgiving.

I've already been enlisted to do the cookin. I'm happy with that.

And I can't wait to get on the road.

4:13 AM, October 31, 2007  
Blogger Almtnman said...

WB, it sure is relaxing doing little things like that, sitting by a campfire and enjoying it.

We had frost yesterday over here down in the valleys, but up here on top of the mountain frost comes much later. The air sort of floats off the mountain at night so we don't get frost on top way on into November.

12:36 PM, October 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home